Thursday, August 5, 2010

Browsing through Books: Summer Reads

In a few weeks, hubby and I will be setting off for a week of holidays - these will be during the dog days of summer and we are hoping to enjoy long, slow days of reading, walking, cycling and - of course - cooking, canning and eating. We will be housesitting for friends who have an acreage, near the seaside. Our lucky friends are touring France and we will look after their garden and rabbits and spend our days beachcombing, picnicking and visting local farms and market stalls to check out the fresh produce, cheese, fruit and seafood.

(I started out to blog about books and ended up on food. How does that happen?) Anyway I am gathering up my summer reads so I will have a good stock of books beside me on the deck, at the beach, and on the bedside table. My picks:  The Mistress of Nothing by Kate Pullinger (a period novel is a must-have!), The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (a kind of travel book, involving the search for happiness - for some reason, I love to read travel books when I'm on holiday - and I do love vicarious epiphanies!), The Tenth Muse, My Life in Food by Judith Jones - a memoir (about food, food-writing, Julia! - say no more) and Immunity to Change by Kegan and Lahey - (yes, this is a work-related book. I am heading to Harvard for a coaching conference in September and have signed up for a workshop with the author: Very Excited and Want to Be Prepared.)

I'd love to hear what you are reading this summer! Sign up with a google account and follow my blog and we can share book recommendations. Book club starts again the fall!

1 comment:

  1. Alas, it has been a long time regret of mine that I did not keep a written record of the books that I have read over the years.

    It would be a fine long list I am sure. This summer I have read many books but the ones that stick immediately without thinking too hard about it are: Amy Bloom's "Away" (terrific) and on a lighter note "Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs which was very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete