Monday, July 5, 2010

Gaga Over Goats

I have a bit of a secret. I love goats. I am also inordinately fond of chickens. I have a very active fantasy life in which I have a backyard chicken coop producing wonderful free range eggs, a couple of handsome and wise-looking goats and a milking cow named, very creatively, Daisy. (The chickens and goats have names, too but we won't go into that).

What is prompting me to muse affectionately about goats? I spent the Canada Day long weekend visiting the Courtenay-Comox valley and was thrilled to encounter almond-eyed goats gazing from roadside fields and an abundance of chicken coops dotting backyards. I even managed a visit to a sleepy little petting zoo where my aunt and I got up close & personal with these amusing critters - not to mention meeting a crabby pig named Patti-Cake, a timid turkey and some rather friendly sheep.

We made a special stop at Coombs Country Market, famous for the family of gregarious goats that live on the roof. We purchased fresh island strawberries, raspberries and a wicked balsamic reduction and then carried on to a family BBQ hosted by my sister and her husband, the King of Ribs.

My farmyard fantasies extend into the cyber-world where I am an enthusiastic Farmville fan. I started my cartoon farm a few months ago while recovering from a surgery. What started as a few cartoon plots growing a few cartoon pumpkins has become a lively little rural dream including a nursery barn, orchard, and - of course - a chicken coop and a flock of goats.

When I received my first Farmville goat, I celebrated by baking a goat-cheese tart and serving it to my sister-in-law. She called it a little taste of heaven. I call it eating the dream.


Visit Coombs BC http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/
It's Meatless Monday. Goat Cheese Tart makes a great main, especially accompanied by a fresh salad and crusty bread. Tune in later this week for the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! and I love all the animals in the story too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love it! You're welcome to come hang out with my girls any time you like at Goat Berries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goats too....when I was a kid I had a black and white goat named Billy. He ate a bowl full of my oreo cookies when I wasn't looking and yes, he did climb up on top of the big ol' farm oak table to do it! I was also the 'chicken girl' on my family farm. I dream of that farm often. Summers were the best! Have you read Barbara Kingsolver's, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? I need to do that! I also want to read Sy Montgomery's book, Birdology. There is a good chapter in there about chickens. The girls are very smart Vicky..... Keep building that Farmville! Look forward to the Goat Cheese Tart. Chevre is soooo good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle - I visited Goat Berries & I love it -- posted it on FB and going to follow you on Twitter, too. A goat girl after my own heart.

    Sue - I am wondering if Billy became black & white after eating those oreos? I have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and it is one of my faves. I really like Kingsolver and that one in particular. I'll have to check out Birdology. As you know, birds are something else I have a weakness for.

    warmly,
    V

    ReplyDelete