Friday, April 8, 2011


Yes, April is well upon us and I haven't posted the new Recipe of the Month (ROM) yet! I'm quickly reposting the March recipe and then saving it with the ROM tag, so you can always find it if you want (and really, you should want it - it's fab!) April's Asparagus will be next!

Aunty Val's Irish Soda Bread

Aunty O'Valerie. (Not exactly as pictured)

This bread is a breeze to make and is an absolute must-have with homemade soups and stews. I recently served it warm from the oven alongside vegetarian chili to my visiting nieces and it was a hit. The girls eagerly tore into it - (girls after my own heart *sigh*) - and wisely preferred it to a store bought olive bread also on offer (no surprise to me. Ahem.).


This is one of my dear Aunty O'Valerie's stand-by recipes and has become one of mine, too -  as have so many of her recipes. I offer it to you just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

2 c whole wheat flour

2 c white flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 c buttermilk

1 egg

1-2 Tbsp sugar

1/4 c oil (canola)

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix in wet. Shape dough into an oval on a greased baking sheet (the dough will be sticky so use flour on your hands). Slightly score the top. Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour in the middle of the oven.

This recipe can be successfully doubled - just be sure to use two baking sheets. 
Soda Bread (pretty much as pictured)

1 comment: